Colislinn was built in 1896 in a Scottish version of the Arts and Crafts style, (also known as mock-Baronial) by Scottish Architect James Pearson Alison. It was built for local well-to-do solicitor Walter Haddon whose initials are proudly carved in stone above the front door, as well as those of his wife, Caroline Ross.
Some of his descendants still live in the Slitrig valley. One of his grandchildren, now in her eighties, has given us vivid accounts of what the house was like when her great-aunt lived here between the wars.
1947 – 1994
Walter Young’s son, also a Walter, became a doctor after WWII and felt that Colislinn was too far out of Hawick for his patients, so he sold up and moved into the town. Since then only 3 other families have owned the house, staying roughly 20 years each. Some of their descendants also still live in the valley.
The Encombe and Wilson families have owned Colislinn since 1994.